Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Most Important Thing to Say About Sderot

Before I say anything else about Sderot, let me admit that I have no idea what is really going on there. I can be toured around by Noam Bedein, Director of the Sderot Media Center. I can see the evidence of the multiple rocket strikes throughout the city. I can drive down the street that has the bad luck to be in the wheelhouse range of your average Qassam. I can see on that street house after house, pracitcally neighbor-to-neighbor, that suffered a direct hit. And I can study the strange half-circles carved into the asphalt by a rocket, images that look like a sketch of a sunrise if you didn’t know better.

But until I hear the alarm warning and know that I will have -- if I'm lucky – a maximum of 15 seconds to find a bomb shelter, I really can’t know what’s going on there.

Thus, though visiting Sderot was one of the highlights of my trip, I really have no idea what’s going on there.

[image of Qassam scar to be inserted here - check back soon]

No comments:

Post a Comment