Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ein Gedi

Los Angeles
Strange how imprecise memory can be. Or was it too think I'd remember accurately 20 years later?

What I recalled about Ein Gedi was that the verdant water fall was only a short hike in from the entrance area. I didn't remember that the oasis includes actually several water falls, each varying height, each falling into different pools with different depths. The river drops through 4 levels, and the pool I remembered, the one Vicki and I enjoyed the most when we visited on our honeymoon, was actually the top-most pool.

Saul and I never made it to the top pool. Saul's interest in the whole excursion could be described best as tolerant, as in, he was slumming to go along with me only because I insisted. When we made it to the next-to-the last falls I found what I was looking for. The falls descended into a somewhat wide pool clearly deep enough for a swim, and there were no other people around save two women who were preparing to leave. I immediately pulled off my shirt, shoes and socks and stepped into the water. It was more than cool -- icy. But the chill only beckoned me further. I dove in.

Instantly I felt the frigid water's delicious intensity. I popped my head up and headed across the pool towards the waterfall. I was going all the way -- intent on letting the stream cascade over me. I swam back towards Saul and the mini rock beach on which he sat. I had to go back for more -- one more paddle to the waterfall, a moment with it pouring over me, and then back to the rocks. Now I pulled myself out of the water and found a rock to sit on so I could dry off.

"This made the day for me, Saul. It completed it." I felt totally revived, energized. And then Saul could not resist. He rolled his pants above his ankles, pulled off his shoes and socks, and waded in. I found intense gratification in his 'monkey see, monkey do' response.

Our hike back to our rental car proved quicker than the hike up. As we drove away, I didn't know how to articulate to Saul what it meant for me to be able to dive in as I did. It had something to do with diving in to Israel, totally submersing myself in the beauty and wonders it has to offer. It probably has something to do with the many trips Vicki and I have made to Tassajara, and particularly the fondness we've developed for the swimming holes along the creek we always hike there. We return to Tassajara each year for the refreshment and relaxation we find in our favorite, isolated spots.

Maybe it has something to do with my rowing on the Yarkon, too. Ein Gedi demonstrated another way I could plug in to Israel my way. Whether in a single scull out of the Daniele Rowing Center or under a waterfall, I found on this trip different ways I can do what I love to do in Israel. This is what, most of all, will last in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment